I WOULD RATHER HAVE THE CASH

I WOULD RATHER HAVE THE CASH.COM is a site and blog, sharing my experience quitting the booze.

Monday 23 November 2009

Ok, so I'm blogging, this should be fun.

Wowzers, blogging hey? How 21st Century of my ass….

OK! I will give you all a wee update, but I won’t go on about my past in some 'This is your life' fashion, ‘cos frankly, no one gives a monkeys !
So, its Oct 31st - Halloween, I am running around Soho House with some friends (mainly TV people, TV presenters, music industry types) and I've probably spent £100, and I’m pissed. The theme is ‘Dead Famous’, so I went as Keith Floyd. I look more like a murdering butcher with random blood splattered all over me, but I don’t look the silliest person there. My mate Monkey has gone as ‘Dead Madonna.’ (Cheating, but a great costume none the less).

On the Sunday, I wake up, and once again, feel like crap. I am dehydrated, self loathing, feeling fat and glum, and then depression kicks in.
Every week thousands… no millions of us do this to our self. I am not alone feeling this way, as I stuff my face on a Sunday with my third packet of Wotsits as I watch the Saturdays X Factor on Sky Plus.
Most people drink because they think it loosens them, makes them more courageous and fun loving… and hey, if its only once a week, whats the harm right?
Well for me, it doesn’t ADD anything. I am not louder, more confident. I am still the same me, only hobbling, more scint, and slowly aging quicker in the process. So on that Sunday, I figured I had gulped my last glass of white wine… I had downed my last Tequilla, and I was quitting the booze.

Bit drastic? Possibly. But I don’t do things by halves.

So, I quit the booze. Bit tricky as it was only 2 weeks before my mahhussive 25th Birthday Party at PUNK, SOHO and I was laying on champagne galore…
I had friends from Northampton, all my London mates, work mates – everyone who would usually associate me with a drink – having 200 people each individually asking me “why im not drinking” can get tiresome, so at about 10pm, I just rolled around drinking redbull out of a glass with ice PRETENDING I was drunk. “If you cant beat them….”

So, I decided to give myself an aid. A focus. Something to aspire with.

So I have decided to set up a site called www.iwouldratherhavethecash.com with my good friend David Gatt. A gimmick almost, but dead serious, and a vocal distraction for when people ask that dreading question….

I WOULD RATHER HAVE THE CASH will keep a tally, with HOW many drinks I get offered, and HOW MUCH money I would have raised had I asked for the cash instead (and got it!)
So, the next time I am out in Soho, and someone offers me a drink, and I WOULD have ordered a large white wine, I will type down £4.20 into the tally instead…. Be interesting to see how much I get.

But for now, my sober ass is going to get back to work.

Speak soon
G x

No comments:

Post a Comment